Pinterest is an incredibly popular platform that not only allows users to share and discover new ideas but also offers various opportunities to make money. In fact, there are several effective methods for turning your Pinterest presence into a profitable venture.
In this article, we will explore 6 possible ways to earn money on Pinterest, helping you transform your creative passion into a source of income. These methods include promoting brands through idea pins, setting up a Pinterest business account, monetising your website with advertising, affiliate marketing, and more. Get ready to start your Pinterest business journey, and stay tuned for tips and strategies on how to successfully implement these methods in your Pinterest activities.
Setting up Your Pinterest Account
Before you dive into making money on Pinterest, it’s essential to set up your account correctly. This involves setting up a business account, rather than a personal one, to access useful features such as analytics and promoted pins. Here are the steps to set up your Pinterest business account:
- Create a new Pinterest account, or convert an existing personal account to a business account by going to Pinterest Business.
- Complete the account information, including your business name, profile picture, and website. Make sure this information aligns with your brand and is easy for potential customers and partners to recognise.
- Connect your other social media accounts to your Pinterest account, such as Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, for better exposure.
- Enable rich pins on your account, which display additional information about your website and content when users interact with your pins. This is particularly helpful for affiliate marketing or promoting products.
- Organise your content by creating relevant boards with clear and concise titles. Be consistent in the naming conventions and categories used, as well as the visual aesthetic of your pins.
Once your account is set up, it’s vital to build an audience and engage with users on the platform. Follow these tips to boost your account’s visibility and reach:
- Pin consistently, at least a few times a day, to maintain a presence on users’ feeds. You can use scheduling tools like Tailwind to automate your pinning activity.
- Optimise your pins with keywords and helpful descriptions to make them more searchable.
- Engage with other users by liking, commenting, and re-pinning their content. This not only helps build relationships but also increases the likelihood of them following and engaging with your content.
With a well-optimised Pinterest account, you’ll be ready to explore the various monetisation methods available on the platform.
6 Possible Methods to Make Money on Pinterest
Affiliate marketing is a popular way to earn passive income on Pinterest. By promoting products or services and including an affiliate link, you can earn commission when users make purchases through your link. One way to implement this strategy is by creating eye-catching pins with detailed descriptions and relevant keywords to reach a larger audience, as described by Millennial Money Man.
Promoting Your Online Store
If you have an online store or sell products, you can drive traffic and sales from Pinterest. Create high-quality pin images that showcase your products and link to your online store. Adding compelling descriptions with relevant keywords will help your pins reach a larger audience, ultimately leading to increased sales.
Sponsored Pins and Advertising
Brands can partner with Pinterest users to create sponsored pins or ads. When users create Idea Pins that showcase a brand’s products or services and add the paid partnership label, brands can approve the request, leading to increased exposure, as explained by Pinterest Business. Additionally, brands can promote the Idea Pins as ads to further expand their reach.
Teaching and Coaching Pinterest Strategies
If you have expertise with Pinterest, consider offering teaching or coaching services to help others grow their Pinterest presence. This can be done through online courses, webinars, or workshops. Share actionable tips and strategies that can help clients improve their Pinterest game and ultimately drive traffic and sales to their businesses.
Freelance Pinterest Management Services
As a freelance Pinterest manager, you can help clients with their Pinterest marketing efforts, manage their accounts, and create quality content. These services can include creating pin images, writing pin descriptions, identifying relevant keywords, scheduling pins, and more. Offer different packages or plans to cater to various budget levels and client needs.
Collaborating with Brands
Collaborate with brands by showcasing their products or services in your pins, engaging in paid partnerships, or participating in affiliate programs. Ensure that your content aligns with your brand’s message and interests. This not only offers potential revenue but also helps grow your audience and strengthen your reputation as a trusted source of quality content on Pinterest.
Optimising Your Profile and Pins
In order to successfully make money on Pinterest, it’s crucial to optimise both your profile and pins. In this section, we’ll discuss profile optimization and how to create engaging, clickable pins.
Having a professional and attractive profile is essential for creating a powerful presence on Pinterest. Here are a few key points to focus on during profile optimization:
- Choose a descriptive username and display name: Your username should be related to your niche, while your display name should clearly indicate what you’re about.
- Include a profile picture: A high-quality profile picture will make your profile look more trustworthy and engaging.
- Write a compelling bio: Your bio should be brief, yet informative, showcasing your expertise and providing a call-to-action (CTA) to follow your account or visit your website.
- Enable rich pins: Rich pins provide extra information on your pins, such as article titles, descriptions, and product prices, making them more appealing and informative.
- Organise your boards: Arrange your boards by relevance, with the most important ones at the top.
Creating Engaging and Clickable Pins
A successful pin should grab the viewer’s attention, convey valuable information and encourage click-throughs. Here are some tips for creating engaging and clickable pins:
- Use high-quality images: Clear, vibrant, and visually appealing images are more likely to captivate users.
- Optimise the pin’s size: Pins with a 2:3 aspect ratio (e.g. 600 x 900 pixels) perform well on Pinterest. Avoid using overly tall or short pins.
- Add text overlays and titles: Titles and text overlays can provide context and encourage users to click on your pin.
- Choose attention-grabbing colours and fonts: Use contrasting colours, readable fonts, and eye-catching designs to stand out in the Pinterest feed.
- Include a relevant pin description: Write a keyword-rich description that provides valuable information and includes a CTA.
- Pin to relevant boards: Pinning your content to boards related to your niche maximises its visibility and reach.
By optimising your profile and pins, you’ll be on your way to building a thriving Pinterest account and making money through the platform.
Pinterest Analytics and Performance Tracking
Understanding Pinterest analytics is crucial for improving your performance and efficiently monetising your account. Accessing the analytics requires a business account, which allows you to review various pin formats and account insights.
On the Pinterest Analytics platform, you can:
- Review your overall presence, including organic, paid, and earned engagement for all your pins
- Assess how users interact with the content they save from your claimed accounts
- Identify your top-performing pins and ads to help you confidently build your content and media strategy
- Obtain audience insights to better target your marketing efforts
To check your analytics on a desktop:
- Log in to your Pinterest business account
- Click on Analytics at the top of the screen and select Overview
In this section, you’ll find data on pin and board engagement, including likes, repins, and comments. Be sure to regularly monitor these metrics as they provide valuable insight into the efficacy of your content and the interests of your audience.
Common Challenges and How to Overcome Them
While making money on Pinterest can be rewarding, you might face some challenges along the way. Here are a few common issues and suggestions for overcoming them:
1. Building a strong following: Attracting a considerable number of followers is essential for success on Pinterest. To do this, consistently share high-quality, original content, and engage with other users. Utilise SEO-friendly keywords in your pins and boards, and, if necessary, invest in Promoted Pins to boost visibility in the search results.
2. Maintaining audience engagement: Keeping your followers engaged can prove challenging over time. To combat this, diversify your content by incorporating a mix of Idea Pins, regular pins, stories, and videos. Monitor your Pinterest Analytics to identify your audience’s preferences and tailor your content strategy accordingly.
3. Establishing lucrative partnerships: Successfully collaborating with brands may take time and effort. Start by creating an impressive portfolio showcasing your expertise and accomplishments. Reach out to companies that align with your niche, and be proactive in searching for partnership opportunities. Leveraging Idea Pins and paid partnerships can help boost your chances of attracting brand collaboration.
4. Monetising blog traffic: Driving traffic to your blog from Pinterest is a popular way to monetise your efforts. To maximise your blog’s revenue potential, ensure your content offers value to your audience and incorporates relevant monetisation strategies such as affiliate marketing, display ads, or sponsored content. For a comprehensive guide on making money from your blog, explore resources like the Niche Pursuits guide.
5. Staying up to date with platform changes: As with any social media platform, Pinterest continually evolves, so staying up-to-date with the platform’s features and best practices is crucial. Regularly read industry blogs, join Pinterest groups, and participate in webinars to ensure your strategies remain effective and adapt to the platform’s changes.
In summary, there are several ways to capitalise on the potential of Pinterest and create a steady stream of income. By exploring these six possible methods, you can find the approach that works best for you:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Pinterest Creator Program
- Selling Digital Products
- Offering Pinterest Management Services
- Promoting Online Courses
- Selling Physical Products
As you venture into monetising your Pinterest account, always prioritise quality content, engage with your audience, and remain consistent. These factors will significantly contribute to your success and help you gain visibility on the platform.
Ultimately, it’s essential to be patient and persistent as you build your Pinterest presence. With time and continued effort, you’ll see your hard work pay off as your profits grow.